Ever have one of those evenings where you keep opening the fridge and pantry hoping a dinner idea will just jump out at you? I have food, I went to the grocery store yesterday... I just wanted something outside my norm. So I dug around a little in the pantry, and found a random can of coconut milk and a bag of arborio rice.
Risotto actually sounded delish, but I didn't have any vegetable or chicken stock, nor did I have Parmesan cheese, nor did I really want all the calories that generally come with it. But I did have that coconut milk... so I decided to experiment and see what happened. The result was superb, very refreshing, not overly heavy, and the flavors were really unique which was what I was in the mood for.
5 minute prep time | 30 minute cook time
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 can of reduced fat coconut milk
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2-1 cup water
- Add 1 tsbp oil olive and onion to pot at medium heat.
- Let cook for ~ 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add arborio rice and 1/2 can of coconut milk and stir every 5(ish) minutes (it'll stick to the bottom of the pan if you get lazy, so you kinda need to hang out to cook this one).
- Add other half of coconut milk can once liquid has been absorbed or cooked off, cook for ~10 minutes.
- Slowly add more water as needed until the rice is the consistency you want (will take about 25-30 minutes from when you started).
- Remove from heat, serve and enjoy!
There is a noticeable coconut flavor to it (but in a good way), so this pairs well with citrus, or even spicy protein options (I recommend this tilapia). You can also add whatever veggies you have on hand, just sauté them in a separate pan when you've got about 10-15 minutes left on the risotto, and toss in at the end. My favorites in risotto are broccoli and asparagus.