Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
This is my favorite go to soup when it's cold outside. It tastes amazing, and smells divine while it's cooking. Seriously, your neighbors might just come knocking! The prep time on this one is a little longer because you need to first roast all the veggies, so make sure you plan ahead. Good news though, you'll get 4-6 servings and my boyfriend is convinced that it actually tastes better reheated the next day (leftover win!). I also recommend adding some lean ground beef or ground turkey to bump up the protein content a bit. But this will be one of your favorite ways to get in those veggies in the winter.
10 minutes prep | 60 minutes total cook time
- 1 large butternut squash (or 1 pre-cut package, my fav option)
- 2 granny smith apples
- 1 white onion
- 4 large carrots
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp of chili powder
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 4 cups of chicken broth (or vegetable broth to make this vegan)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Core the apples, and peel carrots, onion, and butternut squash (or do yourself a favor and buy the pre-cut version!). Chop all into large cubes for roasting.
- Line a baking pan with tin foil, and set aside.
- Place all chopped ingredients into a large bowl, drizzle olive oil on top, and add all spices. Mix thoroughly to ensure an even coating. I like to use a large pot so that you can toss the lid on and shake, shake, shake.
- Place spiced up ingredients onto foil lined tray, and roast for 35-40 minutes.
- In a large pot, combine roasted veggies and chicken broth, simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Ladle simmered veggies and all of the broth into a blender, and blend to desired consistency (I use a Vitamix and literally only blend for about 5 seconds because I like my soup a bit chunkier).
- That's it! If you are feeling fancy you can add some crushed walnuts and basil as a garnish on top.
I hope you enjoy this soup as much as I do! You can also double the recipe for some super easy lunch / weeknight dinners.